The area where we find Hotel Raffaello, was in Roman times used as ‘Baths’ due to underground veins of cold fresh water. The water was channeled first into large stone cisterns which still exist under the hotel, and then into another larger cistern found under the church of San Sergio to the north of the hotel.
Of Federiciana concept, the stile and external architecture of the building was drawn up in 1400.
Most importantly the building hosted the ‘Seminary of the Chierici’ which opened officially on the 21stNovember 1592 but which had been ordained by Mons. G. Ragazzoni in 1574. Economical and logistical reasons however resulted in its beginnings at the earlier date being based in the Church of San Sergio.
Substantial damage was caused to the higher part of the building in the 1789 earthquake.
In 1794 after consolidation and restoration works carried out by the well known architect Giuseppe Valadier the building reopened and hosted the Seminary until 1874, when Archbishop Angeloni transferred the Seminary to the ancient convent of San Domenico.
There seem to be no records as to how the ex Seminary was used until the beginning of the 1900’s when the building was given over to the Moni family who in 1930 opened a very noisy shoe lace factory there.
The building was then bought by the Communist Party and became the provincial headquarters.
The building was divided into two floors, the main room which today is the lounge was used as stables whilst in the reception area there was an entrance with a staircase which led to the first floor.
Originally on the first floor there were the private rooms of the seminarists, later used as offices. The second floor had been used as a place of prayer but was then used a meeting room for the political party.
Only in the Noble Room “Antonio Gramsci“ on the 2nd floor you can see the vaulted ceiling from the 1500’s which still gives that air of sober elegance.
In 1984 the building was bought by the Pecci family – still the present owners, and was completely restored.
The interior of the building is completely clad in the famous Carrara “Calacatta” and “Alp Green”marble.
Divided between the three floors there are 14 bedrooms and 14 bathrooms, the Noble Drawing Room, 1 kitchen, three bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (in a separate apartment), 1 Lounge, 1 Breakfast Room, 2 underground storage rooms, 1 boiler room and a large Attic which contains water cisterns servicing the plumbing system.
The materials used in the restoration were meticulously studied and refined, are anti allergic and chosen also to prevent water infiltration.
Since 1984 Hotel Raffaello, thanks to our intrepid Engineers and Architects, has been cited in the most important design and architectural design magazines dedicated to interior design throughout the world. It has been considered a ‘Record Breaker’ for its concept of absolute harmony between both the old and the new.